I was just eating some Sour Cream and Onion chips and thought of my wonderful Grandma. Grandma Dorothy. I have only a few but very solid memories of her.
When we moved west from Chicago so did she, (Uncle Chuck & Alan were already here) but she had no desire not to live in the country so she moved to Seattle (the Wallyford area if my memory serves me correct). She lived at the bottom of a hill, on the top of that hill was a mom and pop type of store. I remember Krissy and I walking up there ALONE and making purchases, but that is another story.
On this particular day at the store they had some samples, Grandma was very proper, old fashion and lady like, and wasn't sure if children should have a sample but I was about 5 and took one anyway, (don't worry she gave me a talking to on the LONG walk home and then a paddle on the bottom). Anyways back to my story, I remember the taste of that chip, it was not like any other, Grandma purchased a bag and said "we will have something with these for dinner!"
Being with Grandma was always an adventure, maybe because she was only here for a small snapshot of my life or maybe it was how she shared her life with me. She is one of the fondest memories I have of being VERY YOUNG. Even though I made her crazy by not being perfectly sweet, lady like and quiet like Krissy, I have no doubt in my mind that she loved me and had a place in her heart for me, too.
So the next time you pick up a bag of Sour Cream and Onion Chips think of Grandma, I ate them in her memory today.
No comments:
Post a Comment