Two days before the talent show Kelly had a melt down moment about her guitar. As a mother these are times when your heart breaks and you would do just about anything to make you child FEEL better, but it is not always the best time to purchase items or make large changes in life... just because your child is freaking out. So what was happening? In the fall we rented a 3/4 guitar for her and then in December we paid the balance on it, the entire package with gig bag was $150. It was a CHEAP guitar and that was part of her frustration, the teacher could tune it at the beginning of class and by the end of class it needed to be tuned again! We got what we paid for! In my defense, I was not sure if she really wanted to play or if she would play longer than one year, with that in mind I was thinking short term.
Well, after a few practices as a group (prior to the talent show) she wanted a new guitar, and not a cheap one. We had a 30 minute discussion and more tears, and then she said she was more than willing to pay for half!!! This is a kid who gets $20 a month for allowance and she was willing to spend up to $200 of her own money for a guitar. (she said, you know that is almost all my money for a year, she is really good at math)
So we went downtown where we had purchase the first guitar, and I asked about an upgrade. The man was so impressed with how well the guitar had been taken care of he gave us credit for the entire amount of the 3/4guitar towards the purchase of the newer upgraded guitar. Kelly only had to spend $100 of her own money and she got a new guitar, that is rather nice.
Two really good things came of this melt down. One, I learned that it paid off to buy from the local guy (even if I had to pay a little more the first time), and two I found out that Kelly really does love playing the guitar and she was willing to put her money behind her tears.
Since she has a new guitar her playing is better and she has more confidence, we actually don't mind if she leaves her door open to practice!
Well, after a few practices as a group (prior to the talent show) she wanted a new guitar, and not a cheap one. We had a 30 minute discussion and more tears, and then she said she was more than willing to pay for half!!! This is a kid who gets $20 a month for allowance and she was willing to spend up to $200 of her own money for a guitar. (she said, you know that is almost all my money for a year, she is really good at math)
So we went downtown where we had purchase the first guitar, and I asked about an upgrade. The man was so impressed with how well the guitar had been taken care of he gave us credit for the entire amount of the 3/4guitar towards the purchase of the newer upgraded guitar. Kelly only had to spend $100 of her own money and she got a new guitar, that is rather nice.
Two really good things came of this melt down. One, I learned that it paid off to buy from the local guy (even if I had to pay a little more the first time), and two I found out that Kelly really does love playing the guitar and she was willing to put her money behind her tears.
Since she has a new guitar her playing is better and she has more confidence, we actually don't mind if she leaves her door open to practice!
1 comment:
Cindy Lou
Bless you and may you forever remember the lesson that "art" is something precious to all of us, those whose perform and those who get to enjoy.
Your choice was brilliant. and your daughter will agree...forever.
As for the pics of Alan never smiling....I did go back and check and guess what
you are right
there are very few pics of Alan smiling.
I am, however, smiling now, thinking about you as a toddler and how you, now, is like the wise old mother.
kisses and love
Alan.
Post a Comment